Author Topic: GhostPCL - Convert from PCL to PDF - What a day!  (Read 12932 times)


  • President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
  • *****
  • Posts: 1612
    • Precision Solutions
GhostPCL - Convert from PCL to PDF - What a day!
« on: January 03, 2008, 08:24:33 PM »
I've just spent the lions share of a day trying to get a product named GhostPCL up and running on my SuSE 10.1 system.  Though this was definitely one of the more challenging installs, I'm going to need this for a client project and can see some interesting applications of this converter moving forward.  Anyway, if you ever happen to find yourself in the hell of this install (as I understand that it's not easily compiled on a variety of platforms and binaries are not provided) I figured it might be beneficial to document the "magic bullet(s)".

Downloading the .tar.gz file was a snap.  Extracting the files was also ridiculously simple (as all .tar.gz's tend to be).  The spartan documentation then says that a person should be able to run "make" and everything will work out fine.  Well, hold the phone Sparky; it ain't nearly that simple.

If you look at the README.txt file, you'll see a note about incompatabilities with the optimizer in the gcc 4.x compiler on x86_64 platforms.  As my luck would have it, my compiler is in the 4.x series and this system is x86_64.  As a result, the makefile for GhostPCL needed some touches.

To fix this, I went into the common directory (under the base install directory) and edited ugcc_top.mak.  Locating "product:" in this file,  in the subsequent make command I changed -O2 to -O.  That was it for that item, so I saved it and cd'd up a directory to the base.

In the common directory (under the base directory) there is a makefile called pcl6_gcc.mak.  This file has a definition for a variable XLIBDIRS that points to the 32-bit library /usr/X11R6/lib.  It should point to the 64-bit library at /usr/X11R6/lib64.

With these two changes, I was able to "make" and "make install" from the base directory and now I have a working "pcl6".  There were some warnings that flashed by during the compilation, but after a thousand failed attempts it did in fact install and has successfully converted a couple of samples that I've generated.
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.