Author Topic: Tom Pellitieri  (Read 7797 times)

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
Tom Pellitieri
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:33:46 AM »
Okay... my turn...  ;D

I was born and raised in Tonawanda, NY (between Buffalo and Niagara Falls).  My first programming experience was in High School using RT-11 BASIC on a DEC PDP-11/03 using 300 baud DECWriters.  I graduated from the University of Buffalo with a BA in Computer Science in 1983, and while I continued in grad school, due to family problems I did not complete my graduate degree.  While an undergraduate, I worked for University Computing Services, first as a remote batch terminal operator, and then as a consultant.  Because of this, and the timing of my education, I learned a variety of languages (BASIC, FORTRAN, COBOL, Pascal, LISP), application packages (SPSS, SAS, MINITAB, some graphics packages), and systems (CDC Cyber, DEC VAX/VMS & Berkeley Unix, UCSD pSystem, Z-80 Systems, CP/M, etc.).  I even used Concurrent CP/M on one of the first IBM/PC's available!

My programming career started with a toll collection systems provider.  I also worked for a military contractor on some defense systems.  Most of this work was in FORTRAN, but I also worked with early Macintosh design programs and some assembler.  I learned WordPerfect on a VAX/VMS system, not a PC!  My first home computer was a fully expanded TI99/4A.

In 1991, I moved to work at the University of Pittsburgh in the School of Medicine's Epidemiology Department.  I did a lot of database and statistical analysis to support the faculty's research, mostly in Paradox and dBase III.  My work there led to being a co-author on three papers (published after I left).

In 1993, I got married to my wife, Su, and moved to Toledo to be with her.  About 7 months later, I got my current job and was introduced to MV.  The company was migrating from a McDonald Douglas Reality system to Prelude's ADS Version 10, which was written with SB+ on Advanced Pick and AIX.  Since I had no prior experience with MV, it took a bit of time to wrap my head around the data model.  After I did, I saw no reason to go "back to the dark side" of dBase and Paradox.

In terms of programming philosophy, I'm interested in inter-system communications, economical software solutions, and considering Human Factors in user interfaces.  I try to find an efficient software solution before an expensive hardware one.  I also try to make it easier for the user to do what they need to do efficiently.  For example, my biggest programming pet peeve is that all ATM's require you to enter cents for your withdrawl amount when they only dispense multiples of 10 or 20 dollars.

My wife and I are the primary care givers for three cats.  When I'm not programming, I enjoy working in community theatre.  I also have a seasonal part-time business making visits as Santa Claus.  More information can be found on the website I designed for my business, Toledo Santa LLC

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Re: Tom Pellitieri
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:45:30 AM »
I hear you on the ATM thing.  I'm still wondering why the drive up ATMs have Braille?
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.