Author Topic: Type Less To Type Faster  (Read 7832 times)

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Type Less To Type Faster
« on: October 17, 2007, 12:09:32 pm »
It's an unfortunate reality that our productivity as programmers is largely based on not only how fast we can think, but how fast we can make the computer do what we're thinking.  So with this in mind, I have this quick little technique for typing less, and as a result, getting more done with less keystrokes and therefore less time.

On my laptop, I've setup Ctrl-Alt-E ("Edit" in case you were wondering) to start the Notepad program without having to navigate the Windows menu structure.  So let's say I'm using a particularly lengthy TCL statement for testing.  Rather than type that name in every time I need it, I'll press Ctrl-Alt-E and type that command in the Notepad document and use Ctrl-C to copy it to the copy buffer.  Then, in SBClient when I need that statement I press Alt-E P and the value copies in where I need it.  (Other emulators have similar functionality, possibly with different keystrokes, but the end result is the same.)  Of course, if I only have to type it once or twice, typing it in fresh each time may be no big deal.  However, if I have to type the command in several times during testing, having it in the copy buffer can save significant time.  Furthermore, it's not uncommon for me to have five or six (or twenty!) different things in the Notepad document that I can interactively copy to the buffer for reuse.

Why Notepad?  Certainly there are many more powerful editors out in the wild.  The answer is simply that Notepad starts fast, and I don't like waiting!  This is the same reason why I have a dozen or more Window shortcuts for various applications; navigating the menus for the dozen or so programs I need regularly is far too time consuming.

Try it, I think you'll like it!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 04:33:49 pm by precisonline »
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
Re: Type Less To Type Faster
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 12:25:25 pm »
Don't forget that you can also use /UK to set up shortcuts.  These even work at TCL! 

Just type Ctrl+Z followed by the (case sensitive) letter you assigned and SB+ will enter it for you.  There's a way to set these up so you can enter multiple identical fields on a input screen as well, although I don't use that function often.

(The Ctrl+Z can be changed, I believe, but I don't know where.)

--Tom Pellitieri

Spyderman

• Rock Star
Re: Type Less To Type Faster
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 04:26:58 pm »
Just a passing note, Kevin referenced Notepad.  I use a similar product called Editplus2 which has tons more abilities.  Checkout my posting here http://www.precisonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,65.0.html