Author Topic: Defaults Up Front (Y/N)  (Read 5696 times)

kshaffer

• Professional
Defaults Up Front (Y/N)
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:26:53 AM »
This is just an informational question. I am relatively new to SB and found that the Defaults Up Front field on the screen definition F6 screen will infact display your default values when the screen is displayed. My question is this. If I have logic in the Derived Field field, but not in the Default Value field, how does SB know what to display? Can you give me a behind the scene explanation of the SB+ flow?

Thanks,

Keith Shaffer
SB+ Newbie

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Re: Defaults Up Front (Y/N)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 11:31:39 AM »
It might help to think of defaults and derived values as two versions of essentially the same thing.  Both calculate a value.  However, the default will cause that value to be stored in a field in the record (or in a work field) whereas the derived value will calculate the value, use it (in a screen or report) and then discard it.  Derived values are therefore calculated every time they are referenced; defaults - on the other hand - are calculated, the result inserted into the record, and then the calculation is ignored thereafter (except for mandatory defaults, which are different and are explored in more detail in the Connect! course SB-01004: Using SB+ Field Defaults).

It should also be noted that defaults only apply to SB+ screens and selection processes, whereas derived values apply to the query and reporting tools as well.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.