Author Topic: Who Are You?  (Read 7281 times)

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Who Are You?
« on: October 16, 2007, 10:07:23 AM »
If you would, please tell us about yourself.  What do you know?  What do you want to know?  Any useful hobbies, sports, or other activities that you enjoy?

To get things started, here's a few things about me.

Born in California and raised in Nebraska, in 1981 I graduated from Chadron State College in Nebraska with a Bachelors in Computer Information Systems.  Little did I know what little I knew.  Following a brief summer job doing PC support for a local company, I was hired as the Director of Computer Services for Sheridan College in Wyoming.  Now, the title might sound impressive, but the position was anything but.  This position was basically the IT gopher, swapping out equipment, doing a bit of programming here and there, with weeks of sliding through rat and roach infested tunnels pulling wiring between buildings.

While at SC I met my lovely wife.  That's the good part.  But four years of rat poop finally took its toll and I realized I wanted to do more programming.  So I left SC and took a position in Denver with Security Pacific Information Services Corp (SPISC).  The way I figured it, if the acronym got bigger so would the pay, eh?  (It didn't happen.)  A couple of years in this job, working with some of the most dedicated and wonderful people I've ever met, and the powers that be sold the company and we all went our separate ways.

Shortly thereafter I landed at Jenkon Data Systems in Vancouver, Washington.  A few months into this gig the owners announced that this newfangled development environment named "SB+" from some Australian and South African dudes would forge the future of the company, and so being the new kid on the block I figured I better get onboard.  I threw myself at SB+, hating every minute of it until one particular Saturday when I realized that if I didn't master this thing, it was gonna kill me.  About 14 hours later of digging and scratching and clawing my way through the tools, a light went on, and this thing has been amazingly simple ever since.

From there I became the lead developer on Jenkon's Summit product, and while the work was heavy and complicated at times, it was glorious.  I absolutely loved the Summit development project, all the time being repeatedly amazed at how much this SB+ thing could do.

But that glorious feeling was not for long.  After the first releases of the product some attitudes changed in the company and I realized it was no longer a good place for me.  Certainly there were a number of other SB+ sites I could have jumped to, but following in the footsteps of my good friend Nancy, I decided to hang a shingle and see what might be come of it.

And Precision Solutions was born.

Though the logos and locations have changed through the years, the original commitment to customer satisfaction remains unchanged.  For those who know me personally, you know I'm more than slightly neurotic about making sure that everything is "just so".  I really never wanted a consulting company; rather, I have only wanted to be the kind of resource that people would swear by, not at.

So enough about work.  I'm still married, and we have three kids (20, 17, and 12), and in addition to loving my job I enjoy flying airplanes, riding motorcycles, producing music (See http://www.blind-dog-audio.com), and being involved in church.

So that's me.  Who are you?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 02:16:14 PM by precisonline »
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.