Author Topic: Data import and calls to Prelude validation routines  (Read 2983 times)

Chris Weitzel

• Professional
Data import and calls to Prelude validation routines
« on: January 18, 2016, 03:47:44 PM »
Though we don't use Prelude's marketing module, I'd like to take advantage of the module's contacts maintenance because that data is available in sales order and quote order entry for items such as contact name, email address, phone, etc.

I could manually populate the contacts database, but that would take too much time.  Instead, I'd like to import data into it.  So that I can have cake and icing, I'd like Prelude's contact validation and other routines to run against my data import as if the data were entered manually.

I realize that it might not be a good idea to do this and that it might not even be possible, but let's throw all caution to the wind, batten down the hatches, and give this a go.

After several hours of discovery, I have indeed imported one record into the database as I've described above.  What I don't know is whether my calls to the Prelude code did what they were supposed to do, though they seem to.

To accomplish the task I simply looked at the calls made by the input screen and used them in my "test" paragraph while hard-wiring @RECORD values (just testing the concept).  I let Prelude generate the KEY.  The pseudo-code below shows the basic logic as taken from the input screen.

Code: [Select]
Proc Before Screen      CLEAR.WORK 
Proc After Read Rec     B:UNIV.LINK.HANDLER,NEW.CONT
Proc After Screen Accpt B:CCMM.UPD,U
WRITE @RECORD ON "PROS.CONT",@KEY

Questions.
1. Is this type of process too dangerous to use in a production environment?  I don't want corrupt or bad data.
2. If anyone has done this before, is there a better way to do it?

Chris

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
Re: Data import and calls to Prelude validation routines
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 06:39:30 AM »
In terms of "a better way", Prelude does provide the tool you need.  Under their E-Commerce | Electronic Entry | Marketing... menu, there is an option to upload Prospects.

You would need to contact Prelude to have them provide you with the file format, however.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of documentation on the Electronic Entry file formats readily available.

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:52:34 AM »
Chris, I certainly wouldn't want to do this first run in production, so let me start with that. 

It's certainly possible to load up @RECORD and call SB+ processes to do various things, but you need to "think like SB+" and be sure you're handling @RTN.FLAG values and doing what SB+ might do in a given situation.  But ... not in production.  Not at first.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

Chris Weitzel

• Professional
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 08:03:41 AM »
Thanks Tom, Kevin.  Much appreciated.

If I have to start thinking like SB I might have to give up my driver's license and other privileges.   ;)