Author Topic: Color Laser printers for combined AIX/Windows Network  (Read 6380 times)

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
Color Laser printers for combined AIX/Windows Network
« on: May 18, 2012, 07:16:56 am »
We're looking to replace our main color laser printer.  Our HP 4600 has nearly 1.5M copies, and has given us problems when printing multiple copies of proposals and complicated catalog pages (probably because it only has 96Mb of RAM).

I have the following models under consideration:

Dell 5130cdn
HP CP4525dn
Lexmark C792dte
Xerox Phaser 6700/DT

Basic requirements are: relatively fast printing, 1000+ paper tray capacity, PCL Font support.

We use PCL5 to select fonts for our business forms (e.g., invoices, quotes), and have had problems with lower end printers and MFPs not having the fonts built in.

Does anyone have experience with or access to any of these models?  If so, I would appreciate it if you could provide your opinion.  A PCL Font list would be great too!  If you have other suggestions, I'm open to them.

Please note that I have checked the reviews I could find from PCMag and PCWorld.  I can't seem to find them for HP, and the Xerox appears too new for one of them.  Based on what I've read, none of the printers are giving me "warm fuzzies", but hearing first hand from others using them in a similar environment would be helpful.

Feel free to e-mail me directly: tpellitieri at centuryequip dot com

Thanks.

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Re: Color Laser printers for combined AIX/Windows Network
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 11:48:41 pm »
How are we all to learn if they email you directly? :-)
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
Re: Color Laser printers for combined AIX/Windows Network
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 07:14:33 am »
Well, I'm a responsible person, and tend to summarize any replies I get to help others :)  Also, I received no replies, so the point is moot.

However, I did find a website for a vendor that was able to help us out, and I will give them high recommendations.

Printer Showcase (www.printershowcase.com) has a large variety of printer models in stock.  Their prices are competitive, and they offer package discounts (e.g., all four color toners for one model list for $744, but they'll sell the full set for $599, which is $21 less than buying them individually).

What put them over the top, though, was their Color Laser Test Drive.  For a small fee, they will print your sample document on a variety of their printers.  Their basic price is $19.95 for a three page document on three printers. 

I definitely recommend this vendor to anyone looking for a new printer.  We got our "test drive" results very quickly, and we were able to eliminate one model immediately due to poor color reproduction in the test documents.

We wound up with a close choice between the HP 4525 and the Ricoh C431, both of which provided very good quality output.  We wound up going with the Ricoh.  The HP has slightly better print quality, but the price of the Ricoh and its consumables was significantly lower.  The Ricoh is more complex to maintain (it has imaging drums separate from toner cartridges, plus a separate waste toner cartridge), which probably accounts for the price difference.

So far, we're pleased with this printer - very high speed, easy access to maintenance areas, informative display and clear instructions.