Author Topic: Prelude reports. More than one way to skin a cat.  (Read 4218 times)

DonQuixote

• Rock Star
  • To Dream the Impossible Dream...
Prelude reports. More than one way to skin a cat.
« on: September 16, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »
The standard Prelude method for reports is the GRIM interface.  This requires a (/URM) User report maintenance entry and a (/PD.P) Process Definition entry by the same name.  This allows prompts for the selection criteria, comma separated multiValue entries, validation, and F3 help.  And then the Process Definition calls a (/RD) report definition to produce the report. The big advantage is only GRIM entries can be used in the scheduler.
But there are other options for prompting for input.
The (/QRD) Query report definitions and the (/PD.S) process definition selection can be used to prompt for input in a small popup window.  You can also call (/SD) screen definition to prompt for input, which gives the greatest flexibility of how the prompts look on the screen and the use of multiple lines for multiValue input rather than comma separated.
Of course, I just preaching-to-the-choir and you all probably know even more great ideas but I thought I'd give a little insight to those still learning. 

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Re: Prelude reports. More than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »
Also, if you just didn't want to run the report in the scheduler you could embed your selection criteria right into the /RD and then you have just the one process.  Just sayin'.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.