Author Topic: Scheduler and dynamic dates  (Read 3566 times)

DonQuixote

• Rock Star
  • To Dream the Impossible Dream...
Scheduler and dynamic dates
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
What does it mean when you are running a report-writer report and a pop-up dialog box says "You are scheduling a job with a date that is not dynamic. Do you wish to continue?"

I've checked the dictionary item. It is a simple one. Points directly to date field and it does say "Y" to allow changes.

What can I do to fix this?

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
Re: Scheduler and dynamic dates
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 01:50:15 PM »
This is a legitimate warning depending on whether you are scheduling a single run report or a recurring report.

For a single run (e.g., an after-hours report), having a non-dynamic date is fine, and you can continue without a problem.  For a recurring report (e.g., every month end), typically you should use a dynamic date.  Otherwise, the report will run with the same date parameters every time.

For example, if I want a report to run every week, and I specify an Invoice date range of 04/20/13 to 05/05/13, I would get the exact same selection each week, since I've specified a non-dynamic date.  If I just want to schedule the report for a one-time run at 2am on 05/06/13 (so it's done before I get to work next Monday morning), having a non-dynamic date is fine.

On the other hand, if I want the report to run every Monday at 2am, I would specify the date range as -7 to -1.  This would use the dates seven days prior to one day prior to the date the report runs.

Remember, you can use a signed integer to specify a date relative to the current date (e.g., +14 is 2 weeks from today), or T to specify the current date.  A recurring scheduled report typically needs dynamic dates of this sort.