Author Topic: DEVWORK record size  (Read 5360 times)

slestak

• Uber-Pro
DEVWORK record size
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:13:35 AM »
I have noticed that the DEVWORK file on our system is not hashing very well.  Guide says the average record size is 32k, while it has a mod and sep of 32887,4.  Guide recommends something ridiculous like 80k, 16.  I _think_ that would be too large for jfs to hold.

Is there a configuration option in ReportWriter or SB+ to make it write more smaller records when spooling reports?

slestak

• Uber-Pro
Re: DEVWORK record size
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 07:46:32 AM »
What prompted this analysis is out DEVWORK file is disintegrating regularly.  Between our scheduled reports and our user submitted reports, the file is getting over 2G in size with relatively few records.  While the size on disk right now is 1.5G, there are only 29k records in it.

slestak

• Uber-Pro
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:50:35 AM »
Does anyone know the layout of the SPREADER.{portno} record in Devwork?

I have some rudimentary reports and queries to determine which ports are creating large amounts of data in the file. 

What processes job is it to clean the DevWork file after the report is complete?  Say there is 80M of data out there for port 99, when will that be purged?

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »
I don't know of anything that clears that file.  And you're right, it just tends to grow like crazy.  If you had a time when the system was quiescent you might be able to clear records.  Or I wonder if the file could be rebuilt as a DIR-type file?  That way you could create a cron job to remove things of a particular age.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

slestak

• Uber-Pro
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:24:18 AM »
Epicor has no information they can give me except to run /CLEAN.SYSTEM monthly.  That will clear the whole file, but doesnt do anything about its miserable state between cleanings.

I think i want to work out a FD that will let me know if the port the records are for still logged in.  Anything left in the file when port 99 logs out should be fair game for deletion.

Note that CLEAN.SYSTEM will only clear the file.  If it has grown gargantuan like mine (as a sparse file) clearing the file will leave it large.  A resize is needed as well.