Author Topic: Best Practice. really?  (Read 6987 times)

DonQuixote

• Rock Star
  • To Dream the Impossible Dream...
Best Practice. really?
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:03:50 am »
On the face of it, who would not want to do the 'Best Practice' so that your work is well done for both your current and future needs.  But, who are these 'gods' who determine these 'Best Practices'?  Just maybe, I could add my two cents.
For instance, in C#.NET programming the manuals encourage breaking programs into small objects and some levels encourage you to name variables to identify their use. Yet, on the other hand they use the single character variables (okay bright one, it neither tells me its use nor is it easy to find).  They also use the same names in different routines because each routine is independent (uh wait a minute, I know technically they are independent but really its hard on the brain.  unique is better).
Can anyone help me write a book?

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Re: Best Practice. really?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:24:04 pm »
I feel baited.

As we @ Precision Solutions have perhaps the most stringent standards in the Multivalue world, I can tell you that our standards are based on one overarching principle: Do everything with purpose.

Some may not agree with our standards and that's certainly their prerogative.  But there's a defensible reason for absolutely every standard we follow.  I was leading a training course last week when I explained the principles of "points and lists" and reusable coding structure.  One guy responded "I see your point, but I'm going to do it my way anyway".  And that's certainly his prerogative.  But I'll tell you this: By following our standards my team will always produce more affordable, more accurate, and more supportable results than people who will do it their own way with absolutely no justification beyond "just because".

Drop me a line if you're interested in seeing our standards document.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.