Author Topic: DDF.DEFN output & the scheduler  (Read 4009 times)

DonQuixote

• Rock Star
  • To Dream the Impossible Dream...
DDF.DEFN output & the scheduler
« on: August 09, 2011, 03:17:41 PM »
I have two GRIM processes that after selecting the data runs the Data Definition Tool.
They are exactly the same; except one uses the PRODUCT file and the other the NS.PRODUCT file.
I 'Scheduled' the reports in the Job Scheduler for 8:30pm. 
The scheduler says they run successfully but I only get output for the PRODUCT process and no output for the NS.PRODUCT. (yes, I gave the output different names).   
I make no entries in the GRIM selection criteria; so I should be selecting the entire file.
If I manually run the NS.PRODUCT process it works and if I 'schedule it' during the day while I am here it also works.
What great beast is destroying my nightly output?  How can I hunt what I cannot see.

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
Re: DDF.DEFN output & the scheduler
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:26:24 AM »
Did you review the _PH_ entry for each job?  In Scheduler Inquiry (or Maintenance), locate the job and press F7-Last _PH_ to see the phantom output log.  The first lines will show you the entry, e.g.,

PH ID is u10171745_39292

You can view or edit the items in the _PH_ file once you know which one is associated with your job.

DonQuixote

• Rock Star
  • To Dream the Impossible Dream...
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:46:58 AM »
Thank you for showing me the log!!!
As luck would have it, just as I was ready to give up ... it worked.
The only thing I did was change the output name from PPGNSPRODUCT to PPG_NS_PRODUCT. 
I cannot imagine calling something a windmill/ogre/giant makes any difference. lol.
My guess is somewhere there is code removing that particular name.  I have search in PROGS, DEVPROGS, USER-FORMS, DEVPROCESS, and even the dictionary of NS.PRODUCT. Where else should I be searching?
In my experience when programmers name there variables reserved words (or even close to it) unpredictable things happen;  but this is different.  I will keep my eye on the situation.

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 05:26:31 PM »
So John did you determine that the output was really being deleted?
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.