Author Topic: SB+ to Share File  (Read 6659 times)

LasVegasSBUser

• Professional
SB+ to Share File
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:03:12 PM »
Is there anyway to create a BP produce an Excel File and then have it upload to a folder on our Sharefile. Trying to go "green" and offer our clients digital reporting as opposed to paper copies.

Thanks Been away for a while Kevin.  :)

PS The Basic Developer Toolkit does not work well with SB+. Any luck with that.

Thanks again  :)

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
Re: SB+ to Share File
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »
The SB+ Report tool (/RD) will let you create the equivalent of a CSV file, which can be read by Excel - no formatting, but readable.

Depending on how you connect, you may be able to download data to Excel directly.  I use AccuTerm, which has very nice file transfer utilities.  I'll leave it to others to discuss SB Client options.

--Tom

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:23:23 AM »
Yeah, we do this all the time.  It's really two different issues: 1) the creation of the flat file and b) the transfer to the shared location or workstation.  The creation of the file can be done with a BASIC routine or our Download Definition tool.  <ad>The Download Definition makes it easy to export information from any Unidata file and it can take the output directly into Excel for both SBClient and AccuTerm users.</ad>  Alternatively you could write BASIC for each export (which isn't hard but a bit boring and repetitive) and then create tools/scripts to either transfer to a workstation with SBClient/AccuTerm or to a shared drive (Samba is easiest) or to a different system with ftp/sftp.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

Colin Alfke

• Professional
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:22:51 AM »
QRD will download to Excel. We have a report generator that creates queries with the output to Excel, plus there is a TU.TO.EXCEL routine in TUBP which you can use - note all of these require SBClient to transfer the report to the client and load it into Excel.

Other options: use (or write something like) http://nebula-rnd.com/products/xlite.htm to create the file in a directory type file and use OS tools to move it where you want it.

hth
Colin

LasVegasSBUser

• Professional
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:56:21 PM »
Thanks I really appreciate all the feedback. I will need to do some more research and keep you posting.

Eric