Author Topic: Clearing Locked Records/Sessions for Disconnected Users  (Read 6343 times)

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
Clearing Locked Records/Sessions for Disconnected Users
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »
Our field employees use laptops with wireless network cards to connect to our system through our VPN.  Unfortunately, they are sometimes in poor reception areas, and their connections get dropped.  This leaves their sessions connected, and any open items locked.

So far, the only way I know to free up the locked records cleanly is to tandem to the port and save or escape out of the screen.  Also, there are times when the buffer is full, and I wind up using stopudt or (worse case) deleteuser to end the detached session.

Unfortunately, I can only do these from the root account, which means that they must contact an administrator to free up the locks.

Does anyone know of a way for a user to disconnect a previous session without having to get an administrator involved??

--Tom Pellitieri, Century Equipment

Colin Alfke

• Professional
Re: Clearing Locked Records/Sessions for Disconnected Users
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:04:05 PM »
I think with stopudt the user can logoff their own process (it may depend on platform - I've only tried it on Windows). So you may be able to set something up for them to clear there own sessions.

Another thought would be to have the users connect to something like a terminal server which is more robust about dealing with dropped connections.

hth
Colin

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I was able to create a process that did the following:

1) AIX command "who am i" to determine current login and device
2) AIX command "listuser | grep udt | grep <user>" to get all instances of user login
3) Prompt the user to log off sessions from (2) not returned in (1)
4) AIX command "stopudt" for each process to eliminate (if requested)

We'll see how it goes...

--Tom

Colin Alfke

• Professional
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 07:56:40 AM »
Don't forget that UD will give you a lot of these without having to shell out (and worry about O/S specific commands).

Look at @LOGNAME, @USERNO, LISTUSER, and even GETUSER and GETENV.

Good luck

Colin

slestak

• Uber-Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:35:22 AM »
We had real issues on early 7.2 releases on aix where tandeming to a user that had locks set would sometimes send udt into a tailspin.  Machine reboot was necessary.

This has not happened since we got onto later 7.2 releases, we are on 7.2.8 now.

I am currently considering running my users through GNU screen and have it auto reconnect on login.  It is not working for wy60 emulation, but vt220 is working well.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:57:27 AM by slestak »