Author Topic: Recent Down Time  (Read 7430 times)

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Recent Down Time
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:04:47 pm »
My apologies my friends for the recent down time of this site.  Several years ago when I setup my servers I decided - somewhat foolishly - to host my own DNS master on the same server as everything else.  While this all worked fine for years - and gave me a chance to learn more about DNS configuration - when we went through an ISP change this week, the domain name system came down on me like a hammer the moment I changed my server to its new IP home.  During the propagation the DNS system couldn't see the old server and for some reason it couldn't quite get to the new server.  This caused my systems to effectively get dropped from the DNS cache for about 36 hours.

I have since corrected the situation and I believe we're on much more solid ground going forward.  My pipe to the outside world has been increased by a factor of 10 and with any luck our overall network reliability will be improved as well.

A bit of bad timing, but it's not like there's ever a good time for this kind of failure.  Lesson learned: DNS needs a separate server.  'nuff said.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.