Author Topic: BY-EXP in Report Writer?  (Read 5549 times)

DonQuixote

• Rock Star
  • To Dream the Impossible Dream...
BY-EXP in Report Writer?
« on: March 25, 2011, 03:07:34 PM »
Can Report Writer accept and properly display a selection using BY-EXP?
For instance the GLSH file has in field 1 a mv list of Transaction Dates and I want my report to explode this date and sort and break by the date.
Even with building my exploded list outside of Report Writer, Report Writer doesn't handled it as I want.  Am I missing something simple?

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Re: BY-EXP in Report Writer?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:28:18 AM »
The /RD tool in SB+ should explode multivalues properly if you place a multivalued field in the sort fields.  If you have more than one sort field it can get a little dicey, but generally speaking a single multivalued sort field should work just fine.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

DonQuixote

• Rock Star
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »
I respectfully disagree. If I need to display multiValues of a field with a known number of items and I'm not concerned about Exploding them; well yes of course. 
But, since I need to explode each record with various number of values and sort them throughout the report, Report Writer does not handle it for me.

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:30:57 AM »
And I respectfully disagree with your disagreement.  ;D There may be something else at play, or a bug in your version of the ReportWriter, but I know it has in the past had the ability to explode mv's.

Something you want me to log in and check out?  Drop me an email off list if so.
-Kevin

DonQuixote

• Rock Star
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »
"It was the work of my enemy. At the last moment he changed that Ogre into a Windmill" – “Man of La Mancha”  :o

DonQuixote

• Rock Star
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »
Now, my friend would you agree with this analysis of ReportWriter?
If there are related multivalued fields you must create two sets of dictionary items.
One must be multivalued (0.M) which is used in ReportWriter for setting up control/dependent relationships, for SORT, for SELECTION in URM.
One must be singlevalued ( 0 ) which is used in ReportWriter for Breaking and Displaying.

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
I wouldn't agree with that exactly.  The problem with this one report was the derived field that used a couple of different files with 1:n relationships.  If the data is multivalued simply - or a single translate - a single field should work.  If you're doing anything that's quite as complex as this report, then multiple fields may be needed.
-Kevin