Author Topic: Prelude Data Dictionary  (Read 5836 times)

dan

Prelude Data Dictionary
« on: August 16, 2010, 10:32:45 AM »
Hello There,

Wow, what a great forum! So excited I found it, hope someone can steer me in the right direction. Over the past few days I have been doing a lot of searching, came across some good information but still have a few questions. Main one being would someone be able to give me a copy of the Prelude DD (Data Dictionary) I found on Activant's site some info but I think this is for a different product:

http://wdncustomer.activant.com/dataDictionary/default.aspx

Thanks!

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
Re: Prelude Data Dictionary
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 12:34:46 PM »
Welcome Dan!

The link you posted appears to be for Prophet 21, not Prelude ADS (Advanced Distribution System).

As to the "data dictionary", there really isn't a consolidated list of everything available.  There are a lot of modules that are licensed separately, plus just about every file allows for user-specific customizations.

It's probably just easier to ask the questions you have. 

Also, let the folks here know your comfort level with UniData/Multi-Value database systems.

--Tom Pellitieri

dan

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 01:30:37 PM »
Hi Tom,

I'm in my early 20's heh, so none, 0, zilch, natta, haha. For the past 6 years I have worked with modern relational databases such as MSSQL, MySQL, ORACLE, Postgres, etc and also just was much with non-relational proprietary database, COBOL, ISAM flat files, which luckily has ODBC and jDBC connectivity. Transitioning to the new company I wanted to see how our data tables would relate to the new Prelude System, I understand they have all modules, I was most interested in Customer, Order Entry, Inventory, AR, GL, AP modules to start. So if you could give me excerpts in plain text of any of the mentioned, I would appreciate it very much.

Also some advice prior to starting what I can do to brush up before I start, wanted to impress these folks.

The did mention several term such as Activant - Prelude, Prophet, Eclipse - Informix 4GL/SQL and Fourgen/Irista Case tools - Unidata/Unibasic

Thanks so much for all the help!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:41:44 PM by dan »

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 02:45:35 PM »
Unidata and Unibasic would be a good place to start.  That's the foundation of the Prelude ADS product.  Then a bit of SB+ (also commonly called System Builder) and then you'll be in a good place to better understand the multivalue data structures used in the application and database.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

dan

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Ok thanks, yes I bet it will make more sense, I was able to find Rocket U2 website http://www.rocketsoftware.com/u2/downloads/ and on the download section I see all the different software, I will download it and play around. Do any of you have any good reference books for UniData, I found this, not sure if it will be useful?

http://www.amazon.ca/Unix-UniData-Martin-Taylor/dp/1900176009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282066641&sr=8-1

Thanks.

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:20:11 PM »
I don't know of any books on Unidata, unfortunately.  It's sorta a boutique thing.  The documentation @ Rocket is all that I'm aware of, and unfortunately it's not very good for just basic learning; more reference material.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.