Author Topic: How do you put an F1 help in a Menu?  (Read 3812 times)

DonQuixote

• Rock Star
  • To Dream the Impossible Dream...
How do you put an F1 help in a Menu?
« on: July 15, 2010, 02:32:57 PM »
How do you put an F1 help in a Menu item?
I noticed some menu items display help if you press F1. 
In /MD using (F10 + Help ) there appears to be an option for "Prompt Help (F1)" but then the cursor goes to the menu item's description so I don't understand.
On the bottom of the screen it says:
"Text to appear on the menu for this option. Specify L for separator line in conjunction with type L in Type prompt."
I even edited the menu record that had an F1 help and apparently the F1 help is not kept in the menu record.
Any idea how to accomplish this task?

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
Re: How do you put an F1 help in a Menu?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 06:39:17 AM »
On my system, the process /OH can be used to add Online Help to a menu option.  When you're in the menu (not /MD), type /OH while on the option, and you will get a line at the bottom to enter the help text.  The program that does this is in our SB+ directory, so I'm hoping this is standard.

The Help Text for all menus is saved in the file xxHELP as <menu>.REM - each attribute corresponds to a menu line.  For example, if you have /MD MY.TESTS with two processes:

Test Item 1 - P - TEST1
Test Item 2 - P - TEST2

you can edit xxHELP MY.TESTS.REM and add help, thus:

001: This option performs Test 1
002: This option performs Test 2

(Crude example, I know, but...)

--Tom

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Re: How do you put an F1 help in a Menu?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 07:20:01 AM »
Tom is spot on with this.  The only thing I'd add is that the /OH process can be restricted via security.  So if it's available, it's the best option.  If it's not available, well, there's always that editing thing as Tom described.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.