Author Topic: How do these people stay in business?  (Read 3183 times)

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
How do these people stay in business?
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:22:12 am »
Several months ago, I bought a Seagate FreeAgent 1TB backup drive.  It went for a few months with no problems, then it failed really bad.  So, being under warranty, I contacted Seagate and they exchanged the drive.  So far so good.  Now a few months later, this replacement drive has failed.  Again, still under warranty, I contacted Seagate and they've sent me a new drive, a completely different model, but a new (refurb) drive.  I figured "hey, maybe my problems are related to the model" so I went to install this new drive.

Windows recognized the drive well enough, so I proceeded to install the bundled backup software.  (I know, I just figured that if it was bundled it might be worth a try.)  The installation went according to plan until the requisite post-installation reboot, when I saw that all too familiar...

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

Through a bit of wrangling with the Windows Startup Repair procedure (it didn't work the first time) I was able to get the machine working again, but it really makes me wonder how much Seagate must be bleeding if this is how it normally goes for their users.  Yeah, I know there's all sorts of versions of Windows and different hardware and such, so I recognize the challenge they must face.  But if this is SOP for Seagate, how must they survive?

Fortunately, when it comes to backup drives, I've adopted a policy from the movie "Contact": "Why buy one when you can get two at twice the price?"  I always keep a minimum of two drives on hand for backing up, usually different manufacturers, for this very reason.  As if spammers and scammers weren't enough to worry about, now we have to worry about our vendors killing us?

It's all so remarkably sad.   This not only isn't helping folks like me, it certainly can't be good for the overall health of the vendors, and that can't be good for the overall economy.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.