Author Topic: Available Printer Options  (Read 11920 times)

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
Available Printer Options
« on: May 24, 2007, 09:43:52 am »
We have been using HP LaserJet printers since we started with Prelude back in 1994.  While most of what we print is plain text (either Courier 10cpi or LinePrinter 16.67cpi), we have a few special reports that require additional fonts (e.g., Letter Gothic, Arial).

Until recently, we've been able to use most of the lower-end HP printers (e.g., LaserJet 1320, around $280).  However, it appears that HP has removed internal font support from these lines.  The least expensive HP printer I can find that works with our applications appears to be the LaserJet P3005, which lists for around $550.

Does anyone know of a reasonable alternative under $300 that will work on a network with both the AIX/SB+/Prelude system and Windows PCs?

Thanks.

--Tom Pellitieri, Century Equipment, Toledo, Ohio

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Re: Available Printer Options
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 07:30:53 am »
Good morning Tom..  Are you using PCL, PS, or some other protocol for controlling the printer?  Or is this to be an Optio printer?
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 02:40:22 pm »
We use PCL to select alternate fonts.  We also use PCL 5 Raster and Rectangular Area Fill Graphics to generate our logo, guidelines and boxes on certain report forms (e.g., checks) and barcodes on internal service documents.  Since the alternate fonts are used in conjuction with our logo, we need the same capabilities on all printers.

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 03:48:50 pm »
My standard office printer is a Brother HL5250DN, which - without the extra paper tray - is < $300.  According to the brochure at:

http://www.brother-usa.com/VirData/Content/Printers/ModelBrochures/Brochures_HL5250DN.pdf

It supports PCL6.  Not sure if this would be a perfect fit, because I haven't used it with any formatting from Prelude, but maybe something to investigate?  Just so you know, I traded out an old HP for this a year ago and it hasn't let me down; print quality, speed, and reliability are all outstanding, has a built in duplexer, and toner is cheaper than HP.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

Alex Copeland

• Professional
  • Artist's rendering
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 01:30:20 pm »
What printer model did you end up using?  There are some really good deals on refurbished HP LJ4250/4350 machines out there nowadays.

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:25:47 am »
Alex,

You're really kicking around the dustbins, aren't you?? :)

I found the Brother HL-2170w to be a reasonable alternative - it isn't perfect, but it does the job for a low price.  There was a bit of tricky setup for page length, since we use 66 printed lines, not 60.

--Tom