Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 8267 times)

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Windows 7
« on: November 25, 2009, 10:28:38 am »
Here I am on day 2 of trying to fix a laptop that was upgraded with Windows 7.  The upgrade purportedly went according to plan, though it took so long the guy who did the install fell asleep before the final confirmation and awoke to a login screen, so he thinks it finished.  Apparently... not so much.

The login screen appears properly, though the initial boot takes for-freakin'-ever.  One can login, the desktop icons display, then BOOM - Blue Screen of Death.  Boot to safe mode, right?  WRONG.  Safe mode blows chunks just like the normal boot.

After hours of trying various things based on expert advice and copious web searches, it appears the only solution is to start over, wipe the drive, and pray for the best.  So that's where we are right now, with high hopes and yet amazingly low expectations.  Yes, I have an admittedly bad attitude about Microsoft, but I hold fast to that old proverb that says "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me".

I can't help but think about that Mac->PC commercial where PC says "It has none of the problems that Windows Vista had".  I suppose that's true; I never had a Vista box BSOD repeatedly.  But is it too much to ask for PC that not only eliminates the past problems, but also doesn't create entirely new ones?
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

slestak

• Uber-Pro
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:20:14 am »
You get this figured out?

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 08:54:06 am »
I did.  Wiped the drive and started fresh.  Of course, I had to first pull the drive, put it in an enclosure, backup as much off it as possible, reinstall the drive, install Win7, then restore the data from the backup drive.

All told I only lost a couple of days of my life with the effort.  But I learned a lot about the power of prayer! :)
-Kevin

slestak

• Uber-Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:02:46 pm »
Ive been pretty happy with win7 so far.  Definitely an improvement over xp (and vista.)

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 09:17:49 am »
I will agree it's a massive improvement over Vista.  Not sure about XP though, but then again, that may just me my resistance to change.

I am building up a Win7 box right now for my recording studio.  So far, it's been painless.  Then again, the Windows installation was done before it got here.  We'll see how it lands.  I'm still hesitant to put Win7 on my primary laptop, however, as I really don't want to have to upgrade ($$$) all of the Microsoft programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.).  Every time I've done an OS upgrade (98 -> 2000 -> XP) I've lost a lot of hair (and I don't have that much to lose)!.
-Kevin

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 06:32:37 am »
Well, I got a new Windows 7 machine at work... and while I'm still getting used to the fact that they changed a lot of standard things around (e.g., Why did they change it to "Devices and Printers"??), my overall impression is that it is a bit better than XP.

Unfortunately, the thing that bugs me the most is that I can't upgrade the OS without upgrading the hardware!  I shouldn't need 1Gb of RAM just to run the computer.  Of course, I remember when the mainframe only had 128Kb...

--Tom

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:07:37 am »
An update on the Win7 saga: I am actually kinda loving it!

I know, I know, "Mr. I Hate Everything Microsoft" is loving Win7?  Could it be true? 

I had Win7 installed on a new machine in my recording studio and other than getting absolutely RIPPED by a virus the machine has been amazing.  There are a couple of user interface enhancements in Win7 (like the folders view) that I really miss back on this XP machine I use for my day job, but until Rocket gets their ducks together and releases stable versions of everything for Win7, Precision Solutions will remain happily antiquated yet functional on XP.

It appears Microsoft actually has the ability to do something positive.  Let's see how long it lasts.
-Kevin

Spyderman

• Rock Star
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 10:32:59 am »
 :o

A MS product you actually LIKE????  OK, now I do think the end of the world is coming because now I have heard everything!  <grin>

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 10:41:04 am »
I have to admit that I'm really feeling the memory pinch of Win7/32, but given that the software I use has had some problems with Win7/64, it just didn't make sense to go with 64-bit just yet.  I figure in a year when things have stabilized I can upgrade my Win7 to 64-bit, or jump on the bandwagon for the new Win7.5 or 8 or whatever the heck it happens to be called.  Then again, the software likely won't run on that either. :)

Hell hath frozen, definitely.  But the ice hasn't gotten thick yet.
-Kevin

Alex Copeland

• Professional
  • Artist's rendering
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 07:13:07 pm »
Don't drink the Kool Aid.