Author Topic: Gone from IPUG?  (Read 10722 times)

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Gone from IPUG?
« on: August 19, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »
As of a couple of moments ago, I have voluntarily relinquished my membership on the International Prelude Users Group.  If anyone is interested in my rationale, the short answer is "less drama".  The longer answer, however, requires a bit of explanation.

I have always believed that to provide excellent service, one must be willing to look outside the box, to explore as many dimensions as possible, to be informed regarding various options and then to make the best choice of alternatives in any given situation.  While this adaptability has served me, this company, and our customers well for these past 15 years, it is apparently diametrically opposed to the beliefs and direction of the current leadership of the IPUG.

I posted a query to the IPUG list a few days ago asking some general questions about web technology.  The goal of this query was simply to learn more about what degree these technologies are being applied among the various users of the Prelude application.  By knowing this, I had hoped to continue retooling my own organization in a direction that could be beneficial to Prelude users without being so hotly contested by some.  (Seems the concern over me being "competition" has recently eclipsed the concern for being a generally useful technical resource for sites using that specific application.)

In a letter to the group dated Aug 19, 2009, posted by Todd Bostwick and signed "The IPUG Board", the following was stated:

Most recently, the post titled 'Web Questions' (now removed) posted on August 10th has come into question. After several discussions by the board it was deemed unrelated to this Prelude forum.

This statement establishes a couple of things:  First, it appears the board chooses to take the group in a one-dimensional direction.  This is diametrically opposed to my way of doing business, and therefore continuing with the group would be tacit approval of a strategy that I believe is not in the best interests of the membership.  Second, and more interestingly, it establishes that the board believes that web technologies are not related to Prelude or its users, and is therefore insulating the group from learning more about what is clearly a pivotal component of the future.

To the members of the IPUG, I wish you well.  It has been my distinct pleasure to serve you, to answer your questions, and to offer whatever support I could when you needed.  Furthermore, I thank you for your friendship, support, and insight these past couple of years on the group.  And though I may no longer be affiliated with the IPUG, this is not a good-bye.  Whenever you need support - Prelude or otherwise - feel free to look me up.  In the words of E.T.  "I'll be riiight here!"  :D
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

KConley

Re: Gone from IPUG?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:05:27 AM »
What a PITA! 

At least you've got your forums and we know how to get a hold of you. 

The whole situation smells like vendetta to me.  It's a barrel of crap for sure.  It's amazing how one man can threaten the ruin of so much in one man's mind.

Bah!

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 07:18:06 AM »
Thanks for the support!  As they say, "it is what it is", and I'm just glad to be moving forward.
-Kevin

nmorgan

• Professional
  • Norman Morgan
    • Brake Supply Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:19:57 AM »
Almost makes me glad that IPUG (why does that name make me think of a small, ugly dog?) ignored my requests for membership.  I certainly am past worrying about it...11 days to go.
My wife says her life is like a fairy tale.
She married a prince and he turned into a toad.

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:46:58 AM »
Hey, that may be a small ugly dog, but at least it's Apple branded. :)

Rock on!
-Kevin

KConley

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 11:39:31 AM »
So it would be the iPug Classic?

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 11:55:25 AM »
Better than iPug nano...
-Kevin

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »
What?? No Apple Lisa fans???  ;D

DonQuixote

• Rock Star
  • To Dream the Impossible Dream...
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 09:40:56 AM »
The 'leadership' of IPUG did not handle this issue in professional manner. You all know the old axiom "Praise in public and criticize in private".  If they had an issue with your subject matter they should have spoke to you in private. 
Let me publicly say that your insights and assistance are a valuable resource to any business.  Thank you so much.   

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 10:21:52 AM »
Thanks for the support; it is most appreciated. 

You've made a good point: At no time during the recent turn of events did any member of the board come to me with any concerns.  Jenn called at one point to explain the impetus of the action and that was a perfectly charming conversation, but... it would seem that even Jenn wasn't fully in the loop as to the paralyzing fear of some.

It's ridiculous that anyone would view me as some kind of threat.  I'd be flattered if I wasn't so astounded by the vanity of it all.
-Kevin