Author Topic: To Morro or Not To Morro?  (Read 4395 times)

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
To Morro or Not To Morro?
« on: June 20, 2009, 07:14:19 PM »
By now you may have heard about Microsoft's new free anti-malware "Morro" product slated to be released "sometime in the second half of 2009" (as reported on to http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2190).  I have to admit that I have about as much love for Morro that I have for IE or Silverlight or Bing - that is, somewhere hovering around zero.  Here's why:

On first glance, Microsoft seems to believe that no matter what it is, they can do it better than anyone else.  In an already crowded browser market, they continue to release new versions of Internet Exploder that the day they're released are light years behind other offerings like Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.  More importantly, with all of the enhancements, IE remains true to it's history of being marginally compatible and an overall pain-in-the-neck for web developers.  IE truly is the current day version of Freddy Krueger (from Nightmare on Elm Street, described as "the bastard child of a thousand maniacs") - how oddly fitting is that?

Then there's Silverlight.  Once again, Microsoft throws another turd in an already crowded pool, trying to show the world that it can do better than Flash and other web technologies.  Problem is, it's not.  Different, yes.  But not necessarily better.

And what is up with "Bing"?  There's a number of good search engines out there already, do we really need another one that tries to read our mind to figure out what we mean rather than what we ask for?  And truly, is Microsoft so arrogant as to believe that they know more about what we want than we know ourselves?

Here's where it gets truly ugly.  Morro, Bing, the Silverlight player, and IE are all being offered for FREE.  Certainly free is a very good price and there are a lot of developers and users who truly dig getting cool stuff at that price.  But Microsoft has never done anything without an ulterior motive, some end game that will play out years from now.  So one is left to wonder: With all the money, time, and resources being thrown at all of these goofy-named also-rans - and in this down economy no less - what's Microsoft's end game?

The answer: World domination.  Yeah, yeah, I know it sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory, and maybe that's all it is.  But I've long believed that Microsoft has built an infrastructure that encourages virus writers to take control of their products because by doing so, Microsoft's sales go through the roof and Uncle Bill can buy himself a new island.  Now with Morro, Microsoft is taking a new tack in the war against malware, or so the marketing reads.  Is it really anti-malware or is this another example of a Microsoft trojan horse, coercing their way deeper onto our hard drives so that at a moment of their choosing they can completely control every aspect of our increasingly technology-driven world?

Like I said, maybe it's just all a meaningless conspiracy theory.  And maybe it's not world domination as much as it's just good old fashioned business arrogance.  But arrogance has to be backed up with ability, and Microsoft hasn't innovated anything since XMLHTTPRequest, and even that has been bettered by... everyone else.  Since then Microsoft has been playing "copy the leader", creating absolutely ridiculous products like Vista, Silverlight, and now Morro while spending billions on marketing to try to coerce a rational society to stop thinking and mindlessly follow the Microsoft herd.

Make no mistake about it, nobody in Microsoft is going to throw billions of dollars after something that doesn't give them some big score in the end.  Love 'em or hate 'em, one can't argue that they really know how to run a profitable business, and it's hard to be profitable when you give a bunch of high profile stuff away... unless of course this is all part of a larger plan for something later...?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:58:15 PM by precisonline »
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.