Author Topic: SB+ Debug Tool: /COMMON  (Read 7047 times)

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
SB+ Debug Tool: /COMMON
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:03:45 am »
I was checking documentation on an SB+ process I don't use much, and stumbled upon a very useful standard process.

/COMMON allows you to view and update the various SB+ Common Variables.  I haven't attempted to update anything yet, but it does provide user-friendly access to the common block.

If you haven't used this tool, check it out!  I suspect I'll be using it more than /DEBUG in the future.

--Tom

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Re: SB+ Debug Tool: /COMMON
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 08:23:07 am »
Allow me to introduce a note of caution to your enthusiasm, my friend.  /COMMON is one of the most powerful tools in the debugging toolbox, but... it's also clearly the most dangerous.  Unlike /DEBUG or even /EE, /COMMON allows you to not only view the common map, but change any value indiscriminately, without validation, and without backup.  Press a function key and inadvertently hit <cr> and you can jack up @RECORD pretty effectively.

This is not to say it shouldn't be used, but rather that it requires an extra dose of caution.  Personally, /EE is my weapon of choice; it's easy to start and lets me view anything and everything (within reason, of course) without the risk of changing anything inadvertently.

So don't let me damper your enthusiasm, but please do be careful.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
Re: SB+ Debug Tool: /COMMON
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 11:23:12 am »
I **knew** there was a reason I didn't try to change anything....  ;D

To be honest, I was surprised that a) I hadn't noticed the tool before and b) that it provided a reasonably organized view of the data. 

I think you're correct, however, that it would be safer if it didn't allow such easy access to inadvertant changes...

--Tom