Author Topic: My name is Ross and I'm a MultiValue programmer...  (Read 9765 times)

Ross Morrissey

• Associate
    • The Ross Morrissey Group LLC
My name is Ross and I'm a MultiValue programmer...
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:21:38 PM »
I frequently start by telling people I've been to Mars - twice.  Now, thanks to Google, I can give directions: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mars+pa&oi=geocode_result&resnum=0&ct=directions-to&daddr=Mars%2C+PA&saddr=Slippery+Rock+PA

I grew up in Toronto and I spent work terms at the University of Waterloo doing FORTRAN programming modeling air pollution and radio signal propagation among other things.  In 1986 was a government contractor, working on software for monitoring small municipal water pollution control (aka sewage treatment) facilities, when I got a call from "the private sector" - a friend who needed help on a Prime Information AR re-write.

This led to more consulting in the usual variety of MultiValue industries - Medical, Transportation, and Mining.  I was fortunate enough to work at a couple of MultiValue software resellers when Usenet took off, then the Internet.  I rewrote the reporting module - including hooks for making it available on an intranet - in 1997 - for the UV-based academic library automation system then used at MIT, Oxford, and the Vatican Library.

In 1998 I moved to Seattle and got married - and I'm very happy with both moves.  I came to Seattle to work at my only end-user employer - Seattle FilmWorks - with some terrific colleagues and 30 million customer records and eventually hundreds of millions of jpegs archived and managed using UniVerse.  We did amazing things with UniVerse - and robots - and Apache.  In 1999, I launched their data warehousing effort using a new product called DataStage. In 2004 I was wooed away by a small MultiValue software company with 7 employees and a product called MITS - a short walk from my home.

At MITS I worked with end users and developed reference implementations for our business development, marketing, sales and training efforts.  You may have heard me speak or read articles I wrote about MITS and business intelligence for International Spectrum.  I developed curriculum and ran advanced training classes in Seattle, Florida, the UK, and points in between.

In 2007 I left MITS to return to consulting and work on some interesting projects.  I'm active in the wider business intelligence community, speaking at vertical and data warehousing conferences.  I’m a TDWI Certified Business Intelligence Professional and my article in the Business Intelligence Journal last fall was selected as the article of the year and is available free in TDWI's 2007 Best of BI publication.

So many of our shops are small and somewhat isolated – it really is a kick to interact with other MultiValue people at shows, at user group meetings, in webinars, and now through Precisely Speaking.

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Re: My name is Ross and I'm a MultiValue programmer...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:31:03 PM »
Welcome Ross!  And as I recall, don't you know a thing or two about...

BOATS?
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

Ross Morrissey

• Associate
    • The Ross Morrissey Group LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 06:51:43 PM »
Ahem - I've sailed on the Charles River in Boston (during a MITS training gig), steered a heavy 33 footer dead downwind under spinnaker in 25 knots against a 5 knot current through Race Rocks during the Swiftsure (with a MITS customer on board), raced against Dennis Conner on both the Atlantic and Pacific, sailed from Honolulu to Sitka Alaska, and raced in the Sydney Hobart. 

We have two boats and two dogs.

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:41:18 PM »
Wow, that's even more than I thought.  Honolulu to Alaska?  WOW.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

Tom Pellitieri

• Rock Star
  • Tom Pellitieri - Toledo, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 07:33:07 AM »
Well.. let me just say...

"Hii Ross!"

;)

Waterloo, eh?  Hmm... they were my first hop out on USENET back in college, back when my e-mail address was ...!decvax!watmath!sunybcs!hobbit

--Tom Pellitieri