Author Topic: Standards Compliance  (Read 5661 times)

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Standards Compliance
« on: October 18, 2009, 06:30:13 PM »
It blows me away how much functionality there is in today's web browsers.  I'm equally astounded by incompatibilities between different browsers, especially those claiming to be compliant to this or that.  (Come to think of it, don't they all claim that?)

So for starters, let's just throw IE6 out the window.  It's not compliant to... anything, doesn't display png's right, CSS is broken, and, well, it's the very definition of a UBI (Universally Bad Idea) as far as browser technology is concerned.  (If IE6 is your weapon of choice right now, allow me to say that you have no idea how bad you have it.  Fortunately this is an easily solved issue.)

Today, my rant is on Opera.  For the past few hours I've been working on a jQuery calendar (and yes, I know about the others out there, but I need some specific functionality that I couldn't find elsewhere).  So ... this line of Javascript:

var dateObj = startDate.toLocaleDateString()

...assigns values as follows:

FF3.5: Sunday, October 18, 2009
IE8: Sunday, October 18, 2009 (in both normal and compatibility mode)
Safari 4.3: Sunday, October 18, 2009
Chrome 3.0.195.27: Sunday, October 18, 2009

All good, right?  Now check what Opera 10 gives:

Opera: 10/18/2009

Most browsers will give the full month name in this method, which I had hoped to use in my calendar.  But... Opera doesn't seem to have a method that gives the full month name.  They give the 3-character one with the .toString() method, but ... well, that's all there is and I don't know yet if that is locale-specific.  So with that in mind, it's marginally workable, but unfortunate.

Or... am I missing something?
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.