Author Topic: Ultra Edit support for PRC  (Read 27061 times)

Deech Vogt

• Professional
Ultra Edit support for PRC
« on: April 29, 2008, 07:24:37 am »
Recently I have discovered the joys of Ultra-Edit and noticed that we had UE program that appears to work with PRC.  I was just wondering if this is actually a supported feature or if someone here at Benco just cobbled it together.

If it is a supported feature, what is the correct way to setup UE to work with the files?  FTP or a Samba Share?

Thanks,

Deech

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
Re: Ultra Edit support for PRC
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 06:59:40 am »
I'll get Susan to check in on this one.  But I do recall that UE is a supported editor with PRC.
-Kevin
Accidents "happen"; success, however, is planned and executed.

sjoslyn

• Professional
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 07:21:16 am »
Hiya.
PRC does support Ultraedit.  It isn't a perfect implementation but it may be better, as the folks at Ultraedit are friendly and willing to accommodate what I need to integrate with it.  It's just a matter of finding that time...

The way it works is that - there is some set up in the user profile - then you just UE FILENAME ITEMNAME instead of ED.  That will kick-off before house-keeping and launch ultraedit in another window.  You have to leave that telnet session sitting there (a dialog box comes up, telling you so.)  Go work in your ultraedit window and when you ultimately save the item in Ultraedit, return to your telnet session and click OK.  PRC then does after-housekeeping. 

Wintegrate and Accuterm both have graphical editors that work similarly to Ultraedit and that are FULLY integrated with PRC so that it's a little smoother.

Susan

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 07:26:16 am »
Any chance of adding EditPlus to that mix?  I just retired UltraEdit last week after getting tired of waiting 30-40 seconds for it to boot.  EditPlus doesn't have all the bells and whistles of UE, but it boots in < 2 seconds.
-Kevin

Deech Vogt

• Professional
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 10:18:22 am »
Kevin,

Actually you might want to take a look at NotePad++ it is Open Source and has about 80% of the UE features and still loads in less than 2 seconds. I have a Pick Unibasic Language Definition for it if you'd like. 

When you were using Ultra-Edit, did you use it with PRC?  How did you connect to the source files on a remote host using FTP or Samba? 

Maybe there should be a generic feature and documented setup procedure in PRC to allow the use of any Windows based editors.

Just my $0.02,

Deech

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 10:56:47 am »
Thanks - I'll try that.
-Kevin

Deech Vogt

• Professional
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:52 am »
Susan & Kevin,

Here's a thought: How bout instead having to make customizations to PRC for specific editors make a PRC.CHECKOUT PRC.LISTOUTS PRC.CHECKIN processes so it doesn't matter what editor you use just as long as you are responsible enough to do follow the procedure.  Heck you could only allows this for MISC Edits type items to keep things simple.  I know this makes things a bit less fool proof but a lot more flexible.  Then if I wanted to I could start using Eclipse IDE to edit BASIC code.

Again, just a thought,

Deech

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 12:03:31 pm »
Hey Deech, one thing about Notepad++; is there a way to tell it to open files from whatever directory the current open window is from?  Right now when I start it, it always opens in the Notepad++ directory, no matter what file is open.  One thing I like about UltraEdit (and EditPlus) is that if you're viewing a document in a specific directory, File | Open opens to that directory.

I can't find this config option in Notepad++.  Any ideas?
-Kevin

Deech Vogt

• Professional
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 12:14:34 pm »
Kevin,

Settings/Preferences...

MISC tab
Remember the last operation directory check box

Did you try that setting? If you are using the FTP Plugin it always download the source code under the NotePad++, However if you do a file save As on the file and hit Open... it always brings up the directory where you last saved as.

Hope this helps,

Deech

precisonline

• President
  • Administrator
  • Rock Star
    • Precision Solutions
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 12:21:54 pm »
I do have that option checked, but it's the last place I saved anything, not the last place I saved the current open document.  My problem is that I often have several different files open for different projects and with EditPlus or UltraEdit if I'm working on something in a particular directory and I have another document from a different directory, by changing documents I change the File | Open directory root.  I can't seem to make that work in Notepad++.
-Kevin

sjoslyn

• Professional
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 10:48:27 am »
Deech,
That sort of accomodation - for sort of "generic" tracking in PRC is available.  There is also a slightly different generic setup for using outside windows tools.  There are tip sheets on both subjects on the web-site or email me directly and I'll send them to you.
SJ

Deech Vogt

• Professional
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 12:29:09 pm »
Susan,

Cool thanks.  I've sent you an e-mail so you can e-mail me the tip sheets directly.

Deech